Constructability, cost optimization, design efficiency and data translation from proprietary programs to industry standard formats as well as design of complex structures, finite element analyses, façade engineering and panelization are among the challenges that we are striving to simplify and automate while giving our customers a terrific user experience.
CFD modeling at ARUP
In this video Caroline Lama, Façade Engineer at Arup NY, explains how HyperMesh has been used to develop an efficient meshing scheme for this challenging geometry.
Structural Innovation Takes Shape
Structural optimization plays a key role enabling
Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, LLP to create
buildings with unique shapes and aesthetic values.
View the Case Study
Altair Engineering and its cutting-edge simulation tools HyperWorks help global Architecture Engineering and Construction companies to address industry-specific challenges, with the goal of making Altair’s customers the most competitive.
Today new standards for constructions are becoming increasingly more demanding, new shapes, new materials make harder achieving the coexistence of efficiency and aesthetics.
Constructability, cost optimization, design efficiency and data translation from proprietary programs to industry standard formats as well as design of complex structures, finite element analyses, façade engineering and panelization are among the challenges that we are striving to simplify and automate giving to our customers a terrific user experience.
Altair’s HyperWorks high-end simulation tools are capable of shortening the design time generating excellent results.
- Market-Leading, Fast and Accurate Finite Element Modeling with HyperMesh: Speed up CAD to FEM creation with industry leading model building tools.
- Structural Optimization with OptiStruct and HyperStudy: Achieve feasibility of complex structure while creating lightweight results reducing design cost and time with award winning optimization technology.
- Structural Validation with OptiStruct and RADIOSS: Validate designs with accuracy, speed and reliability using integrated industry standard solvers an well as comprehensive extrusion die design and sheet metal forming simulation in HyperXtrude and HyperForm.
- Load bearing structure prediction and Form Finding with SolidThinking Inspire: Reduce your development time by adopting topology optimization in the early phase of the design process.
- Wind Simulation and Computational Fluid Dynamics with AcuSolve: Predict wind loads, flow and thermal distribution, solar loading and radiation effects with superior robustness, speed, and accuracy.
- Software Integration, Scripting, Smart interfaces with HyperWorks: Dramatically improve productivity and quality automating and standardizing repetitive modeling and processing tasks.
“When I came into contact with the software Inspire, I realized it presented a great opportunity. It could allow me to take on really imaginative engineering and architecture projects, with an emphasis on the engineering side.”
–Peter Macapia, Architect and Professor
View Case Study
Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, LLP utilizes computer simulation to optimize buildings.
Structural optimization to identify internal ribs (left) and façade load bearing structure (right)
Beam optimization example with solidThinking Inspire.
Prediction of the load bearing structure of a stadium
Optimized structure for a free form shelter
OptiStruct result of a shelter roof optimization (Denmark’s Aarhus School of Architecture)
Optimized tubular structure for a pedestrian bridge
Optimized Structural façade
Finite Element Modeling
Dramatic 50% time reduction to generate structural FE models from CAD.
- Quickly create, repair and clean up geometries.
- Mid-surfacing utilities, welding, connectors and automation routines.
- Automatically extract, extend, trim and stitch surfaces for complex structures.
- Rapidly refine coarse global models to build detailed models for structural analysis.
- Automated mesh generation for 1D, 2D and 3D models using the BatchMesher.
- Direct interfaces to all major CAD packages, including CATIA, NX, SolidWorks, Pro-Engineer and more.
- Multi-solver integration, HyperMesh is able to interface - directly or via neutral files - to all major civil engineering solvers, including Altair OptiStruct, Nastran, Abaqus, Ansys, Straus7, Strand7, SAP2000, Etabs, MIDAS IT, Sofistick, GSA and more.
- Ground breaking model modification with mesh manipulation with HyperMorph that allows users to quickly stretch any finite element mesh while keeping mesh distortion at a minimum.
- Structural Geology modeling using a finite element approach. Characterize and predict how rock formations like strata and fault lines will react to construction operations.
Load bearing structure prediction and Form Finding
Predict the shape of your structure right from the architectural concept, avoid over budget while maintaining aesthetic quality and containing cost.
More and more AEC companies are using Altair HyperWorks to predict efficient structural forms.
Inspire new structures through topology optimization and validate loads via the latest in finite element analysis.
Complex building and Free Form Structures
Predict the load path of your complex shape adopting solidThinking Inspire as conceptual design tool.
Explore and deliver unique structures defining an innovative architectural language by using topology optimization as a conceptual design tool.
Quickly optimize your structural components while satisfying restrictive geometries and boundary conditions.
Achieve feasibility with lightweight design while reducing cost and design time.
OptiStruct is the award-winning integrated analysis, optimization tool for structures.
HyperStudy is the solver-neutral design exploration, study and optimization tool.
Through the use of OptiStruct and HyperStudy, engineers can:
- Accurately predict load bearing structure
- Define structural load path
- Determine beam size according to local codes
- Interoperate with major civil engineering tools
- Optimize the thickness of steel plates and size of plate stiffeners automatically across the whole structure using size and shape optimization
- Maximize strength, stiffness, modes, thermal distribution while reducing design cost with award winning optimization technology
- Improve performance by optimizing parameters for stability and aerodynamics
- Design structures and refine results applying and combining 3 optimization techniques:
Size & Shape optimization
Size optimization will optimize your current structural model utilizing fining the best profile of your section. The overall shape of the model will remain untouched while improving performances and reducing the structural weight.
Find the best curvature of your beam section while staying the given boundary conditions.
Predict the structural load path of your unique building subjected to several load cases, optimize material distribution in a 3d domain finding the best design that meets your requirements.
Optimization for plate-like structures and more, enhance structural performances such as stiffness and maximum local stresses reduction, find the best load path to place structural ribs and reinforcement plates.
Validate designs with accuracy, speed and reliability using integrated industry standard solvers.
OptiStruct is an industry proven, modern structural analysis solver for linear and non-linear structural problems under static and dynamic loadings. It is the market-leading solution for structural design and optimization.
RADIOSS is a leading structural analysis solver for highly non-linear problems under dynamics loadings.
OptiStruct and RADIOSS are able to solve various structural design problems including but not limit to:
- Stress, strength and stiffness analysis of steel and concrete structures.
- Seismic loading with response spectrum or time analyses, wind effects, vibration and shock.
- Ultimate loadings of such impacts (with or without perforations), blast effects for damage survivability and debris projections.
HyperXtrude provides the best and well customized simulation solutions for metal extrusion, polymer extrusion, billet forging, friction stir welding, metal rolling, and resin transfer molding. HyperXtrude accurately simulates the material flow and heat transfer during manufacturing processes allowing the users to significantly reduce die design time and costly die tryouts. Its feature rich environment provides value and usefulness to all levels of users from shop floor engineers, analysts, to researchers. HyperXtrude is being used for: aluminum, copper, lead, polymers, paste and ceramic.
HyperForm is a comprehensive FE-based sheet metal forming simulation framework for: stamping process, sheet metal forming, blank costing analysis, accurate blank-shape prediction and intuitive nesting interface, fast inverse solver for quick one-step analysis, parametric and nurbs surface based die development tool.
Wind Simulation and CFD
Predict wind loads, wind flow, thermal distribution, solar loading and radiation with superior robustness, speed, and accuracy.
Exploit Computational Fluid Dynamics predictive analytics while reducing design cost in a user friendly digital environment with AcuSolve and create dramatic images to present your results within the user friendly post processing environment.
Achieve and improve your project goal up taking HyperWorks comprehensive set of solutions for CFD applications:
- External Wind Loading
- Data center cooling
- Interior thermal flow
- LEED certification & compliance
- Solar loading
- Smoke egress & LMA
- Occupant Safety
- Thermal bridging
- Energy audits
- Clean rooms & Pharmaceuticals
Dramatically improve productivity and quality automating and standardizing repetitive modeling and processing tasks.
Design efficiency and data translation from proprietary programs to industry standard formats may slow down work routine, HyperWorks provides the fastest tools for data exchange and model building automation.
HyperWorks process automation templates enable to automate and standardize industry standards and corporate design workflows by increasing design efficiency by factors of 5 to 20 times compared to traditional methods including:
- Data exchange
- Integration between different software
- Mesh generation, loads and boundary conditions.
- Property and material associations.
- Post-processing and reporting.